What are the Business Sectors (or “Secteur d’activité) in Quebec?
Where do you find out the industry classification?
What are the essential elements you should know!
In this article, we will break down the notion of Business Sector (“secteur d’activité”) so you know all there is to know about it!
Keep reading as we have gathered exactly the information that you need!
Let’s dig into our business registration and filing knowledge!
Are you ready?
Let’s get started!
What Are Business Sector (“Secteur d’activité”)
Depending on the context, business sectors (“secteurs d’activité” in French) can have a variety of meanings.
In this article, we will look at the notion of business sectors as understood by the “Registraire des entreprises du Québec” (REQ) or the Quebec Enterprise Registry.
The REQ business activity areas correspond to the definitions of the various industries as outlined in the North American Industry Classification System (NAICS).
The REQ publishes the different industries and business economic activities and has assigned different economic activity codes to them.
For example, agriculture is assigned the code 0121, banking is 7021, or computer stores the code 6226.
Anyone looking to register a company in Quebec must identify the economic activity code associated to the main business activity of the company.
North American Industry Classification System
The North American Industry Classification System or NAICS developed the industry classification system with the objective of developing streamlining trade between Mexico, Canada, and the United States.
The Canadian, Mexican, and US statistical agencies worked together to develop an industry classification system that they all agree to thereby facilitating trade between each of these countries under the North American Free Trade Agreement.
With each country having a common understanding and definition of different industries and the industrial structure, they can better collaborate and implement trade policies or make trade decisions.
Activity Areas: Industry Classification List
Every company registered in Quebec must disclose its main business areas of activity.
In this context, the Quebec Business Registry has adopted a list of industries that mimics the industry classification developed by NAICS.
Here is the list of the industry classification (secteurs d’activité) provided by the REQ:
- Public administration
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting
- Arts, entertainment and recreation
- Other services (except public administration)
- Retail business
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction
- Finance and insurance
- Management of companies and enterprises
- Accommodation and food services
- Information industry and cultural industry
- Administrative services, support services, waste management services and remediation services
- Education services
- Food and beverage services
- Real estate and rental and leasing services
- Professional, scientific and technical services
- Public services
- Health care and social assistance
- Transportation and warehousing
- Truck transport
There are 22 industry headings outlined in this list.
Under each industry heading, you can get further details as to the type of business activity that it may include.
For example, under the “Construction” heading, you will have companies in the area of:
- the construction of residential and non-residential buildings (industrial, commercial and institutional buildings)
- civil engineering works (roads, streets, bridges, dam)
- specialized contractors (carpentry, masonry, electricity, plumbing, heating, air conditioning, insulation, painting, flooring, carpentry)
Alternatively, under the “Truck transport” heading, you will find businesses in the following areas:
- general cargo truck transportation (trucking, bulk mail, container truck, long haul, full load, part load)
- transport by truck of special goods (moving, local transport, transport by truck of liquid bulk, solid bulk, forest products over long distances)
You can access the detailed industry classification list on the Quebec.ca website.
Registre des entreprises du Québec
The “Registre des entreprises du Québec” is an institution in Quebec mandated to oversee and manage company registrations in the province of Quebec.
Its REQ mission is to help protect companies, associations, and the public in the context of their economic and commercial dealings.
Particularly, the REQ is responsible to ensure that individuals and businesses comply with the laws governing enterprises and their economic activities in Quebec.
The Quebec company registry maintains a public register in which information is filed and kept relating to corporations, legal entities, associations, partnerships, or other enterprises constituted or operating in Quebec.
REQ Business Activity Area Takeaways
So, what does Business Sector mean?
Should you need legal services to determine which business sector you must disclose to the Quebec authorities, it would be a good idea to speak with a Quebec business lawyer or incorporation lawyer.
Let’s look at a summary of our findings.
Business Sector (“Secteur d’activité”)
If you enjoyed this article on Business Sector, we recommend you look into the following legal terms and concepts. Enjoy!
You May Also Like Related to Business Activity Sectors
Health care industry
Related to Quebec Enterprises
Act respecting the legal publicity of enterprises
Business Corporations Act
Charter of the French language
Economic Activity Code
Name reservation application
Quebec business search
Quebec enterprise number