What is NEQ Quebec?
Who needs a Numéro d’entreprise du Québec (NEQ)?
What are the essential elements you should know!
In this article, we will break down the notion of NEQ Québec so you know all there is to know about it!
Keep reading as we have gathered exactly the information that you need!
Let’s dig into our business and legal entity knowledge in Quebec!
Are you ready?
Let’s get started!
What Is NEQ Quebec
NEQ is an acronym for the French term “Numéro d’entreprise du Québec” that you can translate as Quebec Enterprise Number.
The NEQ is a ten-digit numerical identifier assigned to every company or business registered in Quebec with the Quebec company registry (Registraire des entreprises du Québec or REQ).
Every company in Quebec is assigned a unique numerical identifier in the same fashion as individuals in Canada are assigned a social insurance number.
The objective is to facilitate and simplify communications between the government, government agencies, and public bodies with the legal entity in Question and among one another relating to the business entity.
The NEQ helps streamline transactions between companies and the Quebec government (or government agencies), such as:
- Commission de la construction du Québec
- Commission des normes, de l’équité, de la santé et de la sécurité du travail
- Commission des transports du Québec
- Commission des relations du travail
- Ministère de l’Agriculture, des Pêcheries et de l’Alimentation
- Office de la protection du consommateur
- Office québécois de la langue française
- Régie du bâtiment du Québec
- Revenu Québec
- Société de l’assurance automobile du Québec
- Services Québec
Who Needs A NEQ In Quebec
Every company, legal entity, or business doing business in Quebec and registered with the Quebec company registry will get a business number in Quebec.
Corporations, partnerships, non-profit companies, trusts, or any other company registered in Quebec will need a “NEQ” to comply with company registration laws in Quebec.
Once a company is given a “business number”, the Quebec company registry will then publish the company’s name and assigned company number for the public to access.
Here are the different types of businesses that will need a business number in Quebec:
- Sole proprietorships doing business under a name different than their personal name
- Individuals running a tobacco retail outlet or tanning salon
- Legal entities not constituted in Quebec if they have a domicile in Quebec, do business in Quebec, or possess an immovable real right in Quebec
- Legal entities formed under a law other than that of Quebec if they have a domicile in Quebec, do business in Quebec, or possess an immovable real right in Quebec
- Legal entities constituted for private interests that are not formed in Quebec and resulting from amalgamations
- General and limited partnerships formed in Quebec
- Partnerships constituted outside of Quebec
- Syndicates of co-ownership
- Trusts operating a commercial enterprise in Quebec
How To Get An Quebec Enterprise Number
To get an enterprise number in Quebec, a legal entity or business will need to file the necessary paperwork with the Registraire des entreprises, the company registry in the province of Quebec.
Once a company is validly registered for the first time, the REQ will issue its Quebec NEQ.
You can get more information about the procedure to get a Quebec company number by going to www.registreentreprise.gouv.qc.ca.
You can perform a Quebec enterprise search by going to the Quebec Business Registry and looking up in the publicly accessible company database.
When you find the company you are looking for, you will then be able to find its unique reference number also called the Enterprise Number in Quebec.
Here are the steps to find a company’s unique business number:
- Step 1: Go to the Registraire des entreprises website
- Step 2: Click on “Find An Enterprise”
- Step 3: Enter the company name or related words found in the company name
- Step 5: Click “Rechercher” or search
On the search results page, you will see the name of the companies matching or closely matching your query along with their assigned company number.
If you wish to obtain more information on the company, you can click on the NEQ that is presented as a hyperlink.
Quebec Enterprise Number (NEQ) Takeaways
So what is the meaning of NEQ Quebec?
Why do companies in Quebec have a unique enterprise number assigned to them?
Let’s look at a summary of our findings.
If you enjoyed this article on NEQ Quebec, we recommend you look into the following legal terms and concepts. Enjoy!
You May Also Like Related to Business Number Quebec
Quebec business registry
Registering a business in Quebec
Starting a business in Quebec
Related to Doing Business In Quebec
Canada Revenue Agency
Commission de la construction du Québec
Commission des relations du travail
Commission des transports du Québec
Office de la protection du consommateur
Office québécoise de la langue française
Régie du bâtiment du Québec
Registraire des entreprises